Saturday, January 20, 2007

Out of the snow and into the studio.















So now I have the little side studio at the Berton house set up as a portable studio. A Tascam usb audio/midi interface (US - 122L) with my laptop, a nice little Tascam condensor mic that came bundled with it (LD-74) and I'm wading my way through the details of Cubase (light). It's not the nicest little program in the world, some of the interface seems pretty outdated. However it will do fine: as far as mixing and recording with Cubase I'm doing basic stuff and I have Ableton 5 to do my musical work with. I also have the Shure replica 'elvis mic' which has a great specific boomy sound if the Tascam is too generic. The only thing I forgot to pack was a keyboard with a midi output: so I may have to do any midi work with the keyboard shortcuts... which is a pain in the ass. And I have a precious 30 or so gigabytes of samples that I've been carefully carrying around on a portable hard drive.

I'll have some songs up on a myspacemusic site in a week or so. Older tests that I was working on last year: playing around with jazz standards, trying to find out what throwing some new sounds underneath them gives to them - whether it opens them up or overwhelms them - but now I'm looking forward to having all this silence around us to give me some inspiration to fill it up. It's gonna be a fun couple 'a months...

No comments: