Friday, January 19, 2007

A Whiter shade of



Walked along the river bed as far as the ice bridge that replaces the ferry boat. I caught it at about 3.30pm - sunset that lasts for an hour and a half. The montage above is from the beginning of walk, above the river. By the time I'd swung around in a complete circle and taken a dozen shots my camera froze (literally) and my hands were so cold I was in pain... I think it was around -30 before windchill. Later, walking down the river cradling my hands under my arms I thought about how cushioned I am. A great coat, layers of warm clothing, a warm hat and I'm so comfortable... but 20 seconds of my skin exposed to the cold and wind and I'm suddenly scared that I'll drop the camera or my gloves in the snow and be physically unable to pick them up...

The walk along the river bank is totally silent, the occasional car passing on the highway above the river - but there's almost no traffic at this time of year - and the occasional skidoo buzzing on the trail on the other side of the river. Just the crunching of snow underfoot and the sound of wind. In the sunset the colors are reds and blues and then, as the evening darkens, everything flattens in the twilight until I can't really see where I'm putting my feet in the mess of snow trampled by the skidoos and dog teams. I find myself stumbling around and I remember Susannes warning to stay in the tracks of the skidoos when I'm walking on the river - I don't think there's any danger this close to the edge, but I'm no longer really enjoying it so I head for the riverbank and on the way into town pass the little ferry that must replace the ice bridge in the summer. Wonder how they get that thing up on the river bank?

No comments: